Seven Notrump

In which some people who play bridge blog about it.

Monday, July 16, 2007

Bridge movie

Sometimes you feel like the hero of a cheesy bridge movie. On Sunday I played for four hours and made exactly zero contracts. Not only that: my partners also made exactly zero contracts while they were sitting across from me. That's the penultimate scene of the movie. How will our hero survive?

Then, the next day, it's a tense rubber at the bar. Both sides are vulnerable. My partner passes, right-hand opponent bids three spades, and I bid four hearts, holding 22 points -- my first opening hand of the day. With my partner passing the whole way, I'm bid up to five hearts, then six, then doubled. The music swells as the dummy comes down:


Ben
Bryan
Paul
Wendy
Pass♠ ♥ ♠ 
PassPass♥ ♠ 
PassPass♥ Pass
PassDblPassPass
Pass
Vulnerable: both
Lead: ♦ J
Dummy
♠ 2
♥ 2
♦ 9 8 6 4 2
♣ K 9 8 7 5 3
Me
♠ - -
♥ A K Q J 9 4 3
♦ A Q 7
♣ A Q 4



I only have to lose a diamond trick, and I manage to avoid even that by leaving the low spade in dummy and pseudo-squeezing the opponents, who both guard spades, to make the 7 of diamonds win the last trick -- the beer card! The team gets 360 for the doubled 6H, 200 for a doubled overtrick, 750 small slam bonus, 50 for the insult, 100 honors, and 500 for a slow rubber. Combine that with an earlier 800 for a doubled contract set by four, and it's the biggest rubber I've ever won: 2720 points. It didn't quite make up for my 3000-point loss the day before, but it was exhilarating.

1 comments:

  At Tuesday, July 17, 2007 12:24:00 PM, Blogger Paul said:

(West had all four missing clubs, so I couldn't establish dummy's suit.)

Post a Comment

<< collapse