Seven Notrump

In which some people who play bridge blog about it.

Monday, March 03, 2008

Honor without victory

Adam mentioned in passing tonight that he always thought declarer gets the honors bonus whether or not the contract is made. That's not how I learned the rules of rubber bridge, but upon returning home, it seems sources like Wikipedia say I'm wrong: bonuses "are awarded in rubber bridge for particular holdings in one hand, regardless of the outcome of the deal."

That sort of sheer windfall seems quite counter to the skill-based spirit of the game. If you've already got A-K-Q-J-10 of trump in your hand, you should be able to make some use of it. Do you really need 150 points too?

I don't think I'll be claiming my honors bonuses from now on.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< collapse