Seven Notrump

In which some people who play bridge blog about it.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Unexpected slam

When Wendy passed my 2S bid, I figured her for a bare minimum with spade support. When she laid down the dummy I was alarmed:


Edward
Wendy
Kathy
Paul
♥ ♣ ♥ ♠ 
PassPassPass
Wendy
♠ 10 3
♥ Q 9 4
♦ A 7 2
♣ A Q 9 5 2
Paul
♠ A K J 6
♥ 6
♦ K J 4
♣ 10 8 6 4 3



But I made the best of it. After Edward's merciful diamond lead to Kathy's queen and my king, I traveled to the diamond ace in dummy (my only chance was that Edward hadn't led a singleton) and played the 10 of trump. Everyone followed low, as they did again on the trump 3 to the jack, and again on the ace. Finally Kathy dropped the queen under the king on the fourth round. A very felicitous split of the seven outstanding trumps!

I opted to press my finessing luck and led a low club to the queen, on which Kathy played her bare jack. Edward's club king fell to the ace on the second round, and the rest of the clubs were winners. The diamond jack won the twelfth trick, and I just had to lose a heart.

(This is to the best of my recollection. Please tell me, someone, if I'm misremembering any detail of the red suits.)

Neither my partner nor I had opening points, the opponents had more trumps than we did, and I didn't make a single ruffing trick. All in all a very surprising slam.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< collapse