Seven Notrump

In which some people who play bridge blog about it.

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Grant me the serenity....

I've heard good things about Audrey Grant, especially from Lisa. She (Ms. Grant) is the author of a number of bridge tutorial books, seems to headline a lot of bridge cruises, and doubtless knows her stuff. Browsing in a used bookstore in Maine yesterday, I flipped through a copy of Audrey Grant's "Better Bridge: Play" and, opening at random on page 228, came to the following sample deal, which I dutifully copied down to share with you.

Contract: 2 ♠ 
Lead: ♣ Q
North
♠ A Q J
♥ 8 2
♦ 10 8 7 5 2
♣ 8 6 3
South
♠ K
♥ Q J 10 9 7 5
♦ J 4 3
♣ A 9 4


The contract is 2S, and West leads the queen of clubs. Setting aside the question of what sort of hideous bidding must have happened, Ms. Grant says the contract is makeable, but I don't quite see how. Looks like too many losers off the top, and discarding a couple of them on dummy's trump just makes the situation worse. Anyone?

2 comments:

  At Friday, September 08, 2006 10:03:00 AM, Blogger Paul said:

Well, I just sent an email to Ms. Grant's organization asking if she can explain the deal. I'll keep you all posted.

  At Thursday, September 21, 2006 1:47:00 PM, Blogger Paul said:

Aha. I just got a response from the publisher, suggesting that there was a simple typo -- the contract should be two HEARTS. That makes so much sense.

Post a Comment

<< collapse